Friday, November 14, 2008

Lift and Separate


Ahhh, the promise of a new bra! I can not understand how we can send men to the Moon, see pictures direct from the planet Mars but we can not have a comfortable bra?

It is no secret that as a woman approaches a certain age the features of a good bra are not only comfort but technology nothing short of hydraulics are required as well. You might then also want to include attractiveness into the required features list too. For the lingerie must be more than utilitarian for me but not so far into the fashion realm so as to miss its intended purpose – Lift and Separate.

Most readers here may not remember the tag line “I dreamed I won a race in my Maidenform bra.” The word “race” was often substituted for some other miraculous fete you could accomplish while wearing said bra. The expectations from a new bra are always so great. Indeed it may be too much to ask or expect a good fit, function and looks. Sort of like the new administration in Washington DC – the expectation is just so high! As that old tag line comes to mind I realize this want of functionality and fashion has always been desired – just seldom delivered upon.

Through the years I have imagined becoming queen of my own country, a country where no bras or shoes would ever be allowed. They would be viewed as contraband and grounds for deportation. Hmm, we may end up being a country of muumuu wearing people in need of regular pedicures, but we would be living a comfortable life I am sure of it.

So I scurried home the other day with my lingerie purchases the usual black, white and beige bras – but something else slipped in the bag this time. A rare moment of excitement and risk – I bought a red bra! I have often thought I should have a leopard bra, after all it is beige and black so that is sort of basic – but red, how exciting is that? Well, it is for me. It makes me think of how Mammy felt when she wore the red taffeta petticoat that Rhett Butler brought her from Paris, slightly scandalous!

No comments: